Crochet Cushion Cover
We have a very comfortable, pre-loved orange sofa. It doesn’t actually match our décor, and it’s very outdated. It’s not something I’m in a hurry to replace though, so I thought I would just try to disguise it a bit.
I’ve been wanting to make cushion covers for ages, but couldn’t find a suitable cushion pad. The holes in crochet patterns mean that the cushion pad is always going to show through a bit. Some cushion pads have a plastic-y shiny cover and wouldn’t look right, but nicer ones can be really pricey. IKEA have some nice plain covered cushions, but I’ve always squished them and walked on without buying.
All good things come to those who wait
Last week I saw that our local Wilko had a range of cushion pads that were similar price to IKEA, and had just a plain material cover. They were quite well filled (not too skinny like their cheapest). I decided that I wasn’t ever going to make a cushion cover if I didn’t actually buy a cushion, so I made the purchase.
I had already started making the front using yarn from Poundland. It is four half granny squares using the join as you go method to make a square. I then edged the square with plain yarn from my stash.
For the reverse I started going side to side with double treble stitch. I thought that it would grow quickly as it is a longer stitch than ordinary treble. I wasn’t happy but kept going, doing a bit each day over 3 days. It wasn’t the look I’d hoped for though, and towards the end it looked like I was running out of the plain yarn.
Eventually I unpicked it and decided to try something different, such as a solid granny square. I found that Attic 24 had an easy to follow pattern. I thought it was fool proof, but I did make a few errors somehow. My stitch count is wrong on a few rows, so it doesn’t lay flat. It didn’t matter for my cushion though, because of how it stretches. For a blanket I would need to count every row. The best thing was that I had most of the back done in just a few hours, which left me wishing I’d tried that first and not done the double triple stitch.
Read more about > crochet
Last night I really needed to unwind (myself not my yarn 😂) so I stayed up late to finish this project.
I joined the two sides together, with the cushion inside, using double crochet. To me it looks like a nice bit of piping detail as I used another plain yarn from my stash. I haven’t woven the tails from that in yet. Most cushion covers are designed to be removable. The only way I can remove this one will be to unpick one edge of the double crochet join. That’s partly why I’ve used a different colour, to make it easier to see. I will wait a few days before I weave the tails in, just in case I change my mind and want to redesign it so that I can remove the cushion from the cover easier.
Now I have made one cover I will definitely make more, but in different designs. Some people hate cushions, but to me they’re just so homely.